Friday, October 26, 2007

Just call me Martha

I don't really know what came over me today, but I felt the urge to cook. I saw a recipe online for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and I couldn't decide if I thought they would be good or not, but I was just curious enough to find out. We didn't have any pumpkin or chocolate chips in the house, so we decided to walk to the grocery store in town, since Luis is still using my car. We got everything we needed and went home for lunch. While the boys ate, I made chili for dinner, and left it cooking in the crockpot. Then I got started on the fun stuff.

The recipe said to use one can of pumpkin, but when I got to the store I saw that there are two sizes. I got the bigger one, since I figured it would be better to have more than I needed and not less. Of course, in reading the comments people made about the recipe, I saw that I only needed the smaller can. Oh well, I found a recipe for lowfat pumpkin muffins and decided to make them too. The boys aren't really into helping with cooking yet, they'll crack an egg here and there, but thats about it. So I was pretty much on my own, that is of course until I opened the bag of chocolate chips. Suddenly they were very interested in taste-testing. :o) I made a floury mess all over the kitchen (we really need a bigger mixing bowl). The muffins were nasty, but the cookies were delicious! I have eaten way more today than I am willing to admit. I only made 1/3 of the dough, I froze the rest. Maybe I will bring them to a certain Halloween party we are attending, to which we have been asked to bring cookies. :o) Or maybe I won't...

Just in case, here is the recipe.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
1 c. Crisco
2 c. Sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk
1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
4 c. flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 bag chocolate chips

Directions
1.)Mix sugar and crisco together.
2.)Add in the rest of the wet ingredients: eggs, vanilla, milk, and pumpkin.
3.) Then add the the dry ingredients (flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda) slowly until well mixed.
4.) Mix in chocolate chips.
5.) Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
6.) Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

The chili was yummy (and since dinner was already done I got to sneak off to the gym while they ate!) Best of all, my house was all clean by the time I went to bed - really clean! Like I said, I don't know what came over me.

No comments: