Thursday, January 10, 2008

Happy New Year!

2008 already, I can't believe it.  I remember all the hype about "Y2K" (actually that was the year I first came here) and looking forward to graduating in 2001.  It does not seem like that long ago.  Anyway, here's to 2007, a wonderful year for us, and a year that truly went out with a bang.

In Peru New Year's is an event.  It is not like home where most people I know aren't even awake at midnight (including myself) and those who are sit in front of the TV watching a sparkly ball drop (woo-hoo).  No, here it is a huge deal, full of tradition, music, fireworks and bonfires.  Its awesome. 

We put the boys to bed at their regular time, and planned to wake them around 11:30 so that they would be awake for the fun.  Before we woke them, I got them dressed and ready.  One of the traditions here is to wear yellow, something new, when the new year strikes, to bring you luck all year.  Luis' mom bought new yellow underwear for all the kids, so I put them on the sleeping boys (I'm sure they would have thanked me if they were awake).

Peru 364

I had thought they would be the only two kids sleeping before the party, assuming the older ones would be too excited, but I was wrong.  Most of the kids ended up falling asleep in one corner of the house or another before the fun began.

Peru 366

Even Luis' mom couldn't stay awake.

Peru 376

Yellow is a lucky color, so all the decorations are yellow (even the napkins).  The whole neighborhood put together strands of yellow balloons and hung them across the street from house to house. 

Peru 369 Peru 372

Right at midnight, the real excitement began.  The radios synchronize the time with the military and count down to midnight.  At midnight everyone hugs and wishes their family and neighbors a Feliz Ano Nuevo.  They light dummies (I think they represent bad luck, but I'm not sure) that each family makes on fire, and set off fireworks. 

Peru 378Peru 384Peru 386 

The boys didn't want to wake up at first, and I felt bad, but once they got outside and saw the party they had a blast, so I was glad I woke them up. 

Peru 387Peru 392 Peru 405

Here's something you don't see at home - two eight year olds, a nine year old, and a ten year old lighting fireworks!

Peru 395

After the celebration died down a little, everyone went into their homes and had dinner with their family.  The boys were ready for bed by then, so I brought them in and just stayed with them.

Peru 275

Luis came to bed around 4am, and at about 5am I heard the music start up.  No one else in the house went to bed that night.  Like I said, its an event!

No comments: