Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Little Balance

So last week we went grocery shopping. Outside Market Basket the have one of those ride on trucks that you can put money in and make it move. Its broken, but the boys don't care, and they play on it every week after we finish shopping. Taye has always left without a problem, and last week was no exception.

He took my hand and jumped down, and we started walking across the sidewalk towards the parking lot. He often likes to jump while I'm holding his hand, which makes it hard to hang on to him, and sometimes I'll lose my grip and he'll drop to the ground. Thats what happened last week. As he was working on getting up, I heard this voice say "Uh, uh, uh...here comes Santy Clause" (who?) I didn't even realize it had anything to do with us until this old lady leaned over Taye, wagging her finger and said "You're not gonna get any presents, you'd better get back over there with your Mommy!" I gave her this look, probably much like the one on your face right now, and said "He's fine, I can handle it." She just said "oh" and started laughing. Then I said, "We don't believe in Santa Clause anyway" took Taye's hand, and walked away. I was fuming (Taye couldn't have cared less) and it has really bugged me since. First of all - he wasn't even doing anything remotely wrong, he fell! And second - even if he was, who the hell does she think she is?!? Butt out! I was glad though, that I actually said something. I am pretty much a doormat, and have always been worried that I wouldn't be able to stand up for my kids, since I never do for myself. So I admit I was a bit proud of myself.

Well, today we went back to Market Basket. They have these horrible contraptions I am forced to use, which is basically a regular carriage with an extra bench seat attached. Its like driving a Mack truck through the store. We were about halfway done when I noticed an older lady sneaking looks at the boys and smiling. (It always cracks me up how people do that - its like they want to see them, but don't want to stare. I say stare away, I mean I get to see them all day, and I can't stop staring half the time!) We finally made eye contact and she told me how good they were being. I smiled and agreed. Then she leaned down to them and said "What good boys you are, sitting there while Mommy does her shopping! Your Mommy must be so proud of you. You are two good boys!" I told her they are wonderful and I am very proud of them. It made me so happy, she really made my day. It even made me forget about that other lady. :o)

No comments: