Saturday, August 18, 2007

The continuing saga of the beloved red car...

On that fateful Target day after we got home and Taye was feeling better, the mail came. Darius was napping so Taye and I went through it together. Luis got a catalog and we decided to flip through it. Wouldn't you know, they had every "Cars" product under the sun in that catalog! We had just been playing with scissors which gave Taye the idea of having me cut out every single picture of the red car that we could find. It took the better part of an hour, basically the entire time Darius slept. But Taye was happy, so I was happy. He played with those cut out cars for a couple of days, but eventually they all seemed to disappear. When we had lost the last one, and he asked for more car pictures, I printed one off the computer. He carried that paper around, putting it on Darius' ride-on caterpillar and giving it a ride, 'driving' with it in his car, etc.





That, too, lasted a couple of days. Today we had nothing for him, but I got the idea to ask Becky if her kids had a red car thay they didn't use by any chance. It turns out they had a "Cars" racetrack that they never use, and she said Taye could have the red car! It wasn't the metal one he used to have, it was a larger plastic one, but he was very happy with it!

Later on today we had some time to kill, and decided to go to Learning Express to check out some Christmas ideas I have. While we were there, Luis found a display of the die case metal "Cars" cars. They had a red one. It had a slightly different paint job than the original 'red car' but it was the red car. Just to be on the safe side, I brought it up and asked the cashier if they would actually sell it to us. I recounted the Target nightmare. They double checked with (I assume) the owner and he said yes, those ones had not been recalled, we could buy it. So we did, and Taye has not put it down since we left the store. He is sleeping on it at the moment, so I couldn't get a great picture, but here is the proof. I think he is going to be ok :o)




No comments: