Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Funny Valentines

Normally we don't really 'do' Valentine's Day. We're pretty lovey-dovey every day, so we don't need an excuse. Plus, I'm cheap, and don't like wasting my money on candy and such just because Hallmark says I should. So there. But this year, the day before V-Day, I had a mini crisis of conscience. Am I a bad mother if I don't get my kids Valentines? Should't we do something to make it special? After all, my mom got us Valentines every year. And she gets them for my kids. And Kathy brought them candy. And it's Valentine's Day, it's all about love, and I do love them. And...and...

Ah, Mommy guilt. So I talked to the more rational (read: less hormonal) one in this relationship. We decided on a nice, low key, non-commercial Valentine's Party. We made Valentines with construction paper. Two cut out hearts, each with a message from Mama and Daddy, stapled together, with a few small trinkets inside (stickers, glitter glue, and yes, some candy). Then we made pink, heart-shaped pancakes, scrambled eggs, and strawberry smoothies and had a nice, sit-down, all-together breakfast.



Then we just spent the day together. I'm very lucky to have the best little Valentines around.


And one big one, of course. How could I not love him?

1 comment:

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

It sounds perfectly lovely and awesome. Those pictures are cute.