Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Productive Weekend

This weekend was crunch time. I needed to get the garden boxes we dug and built filled with some sort of dirt like substance. We're planning to spend this weekend buying and planting starter plants, so we kinda needed something to plant them in. Since I hadn't had luck finding the exact mixture I was looking for, we decided to just go look at the other options and come up with a plan B. So, after a hearty breakfast, we set out.



We came back with a combination of garden soil, lobster compost, peat moss, and just a bit of vermiculite. Then it was time to get to work, pouring it all in...


and mixing it all together:

While one lazy bug was happy to just sit and watch...

But he's a cute lazy bug, so we let it slide. This time.

I can't help but get the feeling that we're falling behind on this whole garden thing. But everything I've read says to plant after the last frost, which according to my internet research is tomorrow...or close to it. So I'm letting go, and seeing how it turns out. The kids and I have planted the watermelon and herb seeds. We'll pick up carrot seeds (we seem to have misplaced them) and seedling potatoes, the rest will be started as plants (I think...) I guess I have some more researching to do!

No comments: