Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was really nice. First of all, I got to wake up (late) in my very own, beautiful, newly finished room (more about that later). The kids each picked me something from the dollar store (I got 2 bunches of fake flowers, and a balloon) and I opened the present that Luis picked out. He was at the Salvation Army one day, and found three hand-painted Peruvian vases - what are the chances of that?! And since it was the Salvation Army, he could get all three! They're beautiful, and look perfect in the new room.

After lunch, we started getting ready to go to Nana's. The day before, we had talked about making her cards, and the boys were really excited to do it. That morning, Darius mentioned that he didn't like making little cards - which reminded me of the several poster boards we got from the craft place. I suggested folding one of them and making a giant card, but Taye didn't think it should be folded. So we decided on a Mother's day poster. Each of us worked on one spot, and everyone had fun.


Darius asked me to make a picture of the superhero he was being that day - Mr. Blue Man, so he could color it in, and Nana would know it was from him.

Mya spent a good 20 minutes or more, intently coloring her corner, and decorating it with every sticker she could find. I decided to add a small picture of Mya, so Nana would know who it was from.


Taye drew a picture of himself as Mario, but added a word bubble saying "I am Taye" so that Nana would know it was from him.


Since we all worked at the same time, the pictures were all turned in different directions. When we got to her house, Nana had the ingenious idea of hanging it by a single nail in the middle, so she could spin it and see everything right side up.
After the card was complete, we made brownies to bring for dessert. I'm excited to report that the GFCF version of Mom's brownies is just as good as the regular ones. Mya agrees.

No comments: