Monday, April 14, 2008

Meet Houdini

Saturday was a really nice day, and we spent much of it outside. Luis rolled the grill into the back so he could watch the boys while he cooked burgers, and I was in the kitchen making the rest of our lunch. The back and front doors of the house were open, so the boys essentially had the run of everywhere except the front yard.

So, last year Luis put a locking handle on the outside porch door for two reasons. The first was to give me the freedom to be able to let the boys play on the porch while I was doing things in the house, and know they could not escape. The second was to keep the door from opening if they played with it, so they would not fall down the nice brick stairs. So with all that in mind, I, of course, had the door locked. The boys came in from the back yard and played on the porch. A few minutes later, I heard the door opening and looked out the window. There they were, on their way down the stairs! I yelled, "hey!' and went running after them, basically slamming into the still-locked door. Luis had heard me yell, and came running from the back. We got the boys and brought them back into the house. I could not figure out how they got off the porch, especially since the door was still locked behind them. I finally assumed that the door hadn't been latched properly, and went on with my business.

We ate lunch, and they resumed playing outside. I was cleaning up in the kitchen when I heard that door again. I ran out and saw Darius halfway down the stairs, Taye was standing by the door, contemplating an escape, and the door was still locked! I grabbed Darius, and brought him back in. Then I asked Taye to show me how they opened the door. Here it is -





Now what the heck am I supposed to do about that?!?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

L.........O.............LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Penny Lady said...

BRILLIANT!!!! We seriously don't give kids enough credit do we?

Time for much higher latch! LMFAO! Maybe one of those very simple hook and eye locks LOL!!!!