Monday, February 11, 2008

Booooorrrrriiiiiinnnnngggggg!!!!!

Hospitals are boring. Thank goodness for wireless internet :o)

I woke up Sunday morning with that same pain in my lower right side ("right flank" would be the technical term I have learned, but that just always makes me think about a horse) that sent me to the ER in October. It got worse and worse, so Luis and I headed over to the good old ER - again. They seemed to take it more seriously this time, maybe because I'm pregnant, maybe because its been going on since October, or maybe just because they weren't too busy, I'm not sure. Anyway, they did a urinalysis, and took some blood. Based on those tests, they determined that I have a kidney infection, or at least that one was "brewing" and therefore I needed to be admitted. Fun, fun.

I have been on continuous IV fluids and antibiotics since about noon yesterday, which means I have to pee about every two hours, and also that I cannot even change my lovely hospital gown since I can't get this one off over the IV. So not only am I bored, but I am stinky as well.

Yesterday they told me that they would be doing an ultrasound of my kidneys today, to make sure they aren't blocked. The doctor said that if those results were ok, I should be going home today. This afternoon I asked the nurse, and she said he had ordered some tests for tomorrow morning, which of course means he wants me here tomorrow morning. I have asked them to talk to him about that, and see if there is any way I can get the heck out of here. I miss my babies.

Luis brought them in to visit last night, and again this afternoon. Last night he said Taye didn't want to come, but when he mentioned that they were coming to visit me because I'm sick, he got all excited and asked for Band-Aids to bring me. He then tried to rush Luis out the door, telling him to "come on, I have to go fix Mama." When he got here he covered my arm with the Band-Aids. He saw the IV, and said, "You're stuck Mama." I said, "Yeah, I'm stuck to that machine, thats where my medicine is coming from." He said, "Don't worry Mama, I'll save you!" He kills me. He said the same thing when they were here this afternoon.

Last night I was crying before they even walked out the door. It was the first night I've ever been away from Darius, and only the third time I've been away from Taye. Luis said they did well, Darius woke up twice crying for me, but he said he was only awake for about three minutes each time. He said Taye was kicking him all night, and trying to climb over him to get to me, but of course, I was not there. Going from sleeping with your whole family all snuggly together, to sleeping all alone in a hospital bed sucks.

Being woken up at 6am for a blood draw also sucks, especially when they can't find your vein, and then the poking just goes on and on. You could say I was pretty wide awake by the time she was done. Then there was nothing to do but wait for breakfast. At 7:30 the nurse came in to tell me the radiology department had called, and said I needed to drink 20oz. of fluid before 8am, and then not go to the bathroom. I was dying by 8:15! Breakfast finally came at about 8:20 (I was starving, my babies do not like when I wait to feed them in the morning!) Just as I was starting to eat, they came to get me early for the ultrasound. As hungry as I was, I was actually relieved, as I really thought I was going to explode by then. The lady did the ultrasound of my bladder first, then let me use the bathroom before moving on the the kidneys. She said I have very big kidneys. She kept saying she thinks I have cysts on my kidneys, but she's not sure, and she's not a doctor. She also took a little peek at the baby, it was a very cute little blob :o)

And thats all the news for now. Here I sit, bored, and hoping they will let me go!

No comments: